The health promoter develops and implements strategies aimed at increasing physical and cognitive functioning and health, through a variety of stimulating programs. The Health Promoter leads both group & 1:1 interventions focusing on therapeutic recreation interests and skills identified through referrals, assessment and other rehabilitation focuses.
- The health promoter works with in collaboration with physicians, nurses, social workers and shelter staff to:
- Remove barriers that prevent shelter clients from participating in meaningful leisure
- Educate clients about physical, social and emotional benefits of recreation
- Help clients practice skills to improve their ability to interact socially and participate in leisure and community activities
- Maintain and improve the quality of life and overall health of clients despite illness and disability